Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Too little...Too Much....Just Right

"Remove far from me falsehood and lying;give me neither poverty nor riches;feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny youand say, Who is the Lord?or lest I be poor and stealand profane the name of my God."
(Proverbs 30:8,9, ESV)
Many people look at these verses and say that God gives us each day what we need, no more and no less, because He knows exactly how much it is we need...and they are exactly right. But, one way that these scriptures are overlooked is how we can apply them to our ministry...or it is at least been overlooked by me the numerous times that I have read this passage.
There are days when we don't get enough ministry in, and we just don't feel filled about it, and we make excuses, like, " I was tired" or "I just didn't feel led" or something idiotic like that, because God is always leading us, and we can do ALL things through Christ who gives us strength. There are many other excuses that I have used in cases like this, but, meh, they are all just that...excuses.
On the other hand, there are days when ministry is going so well and so smoothly, we just don't know when to stop ourselves. I mean, we just go and go and go and we ignore that point where God is telling us to stop because we don't want to stop. You're talking to the person and you just KNOW that if you have 5 more minutes, they will make a decision for Christ. You're at a point where you're trusting yourself, not God, to get the result. Sometimes, we need to step back, because too much of something can overload someone, and push them away.
So, my challenge this summer is to take the portion that God gives you, and do what God has in store for you that day. Some days it may be simple and easy; others may be difficult and painful. But, in the end, those days will Glorify God. Don't overdo it, leaving God behind; and don't under-do it, and have to excuse your way out of it. Remember, Our God is an AWESOME God. Praise God!

1 comment:

Rob Compton said...

Thank you for your openess! The adventure of being a Christ follower is like no other! The high and lows shape and mold us to be more like Him. The words are easy the humbling process is hard. The truth is the more we seek God, the more we know him. The more we know him the more we love him. The more we love him, th e more we trust him. The more we trust him the more we undertand.

I hope you have the change to visit us at Valleydale one day.

In Christ
Rob Compton